Injuries are tough to deal with, but it’s even worse when an injury is a result of another individual’s negligence. If you lose work time or have difficulties paying your medical bills, you might find it prudent to hire an injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you get compensation from the negligent party. There are steps you can follow to ensure hiring the best injury lawyer for your unique situation.
1. The first item on your agenda is finding a lawyer who specializes in the area in which you need help. Some lawyers specialize in car accident cases. If you have a work-related issue you might want to go to a work-injury lawyer. If you have head trauma as a result of negligence, you might want to consult a Sacramento Brain Injury Attorney.
2. Avoid the “yellow pages” and television ads. Many of the best attorneys have no need for physical advertisement. Their work results are all the advertisement they need, and publicity comes to them by word-of-mouth.
3. Ask your family and friends for personal recommendations.
4. Utilize referral services and membership organizations. One method of finding a good injury lawyer in your area is to check out the referral service from a state bar organization or an online directory such as Find Law.
5. Check out the lawyer’s credentials and history. If possible, go to a lawyer with a good track record and years of experience.
6. Meet with a potential attorney. This is not necessary, but it will most likely make you more comfortable with the litigation process. Your initial meeting will give you a sense of how the lawyer will work with you. Look for specifics such as whether or not the lawyer is really willing to listen to your concerns, how the attorney responds to your questions and what advice your potential lawyer offers.
7. Get a written retainer agreement. A really good injury lawyer won’t balk at this, and it protects you. This agreement should describe any legal issues the lawyer will represent for you. It should also address agreed-upon terms and your payment agreement. You might find it wise to have another attorney review the agreement before you sign.
8. Shift gears. Sometimes hiring the best injury lawyer requires a change from the lawyer you already have. If you are not happy with the results of one lawyer, you have the right to switch to another attorney.
If you are going to take legal steps to obtain compensation for an injury, it’s important to find a qualified lawyer to represent you. The best injury lawyer will smooth the process so you can focus on what’s really important—healing.